Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Teenager having boyfriend and not sexually active. Should I go on birth control to be safe?

So i am 14 years old and i currently have a boyfriend who i have been with a very short time, my mum keeps bugging me about going on the pill and other forms of contraception . I am NOT sexually active and i have told her this, im pretty sure she trusts me to talk to her about these kind of things. My boyfriend is 15, 11months older than me. My mum also said that she doesn t mind how old i am and she just wants me to be safe if i do choose to have sex, she is not encouraging me in any way, shape or form, she is a nurse so shes knows every there is to know about different types of contraceptives and deffinetly does not want a grandchild anytime soon. So my question is should i just go on birth control so that she can stop worrying about me?
Asked On : Tue, 8 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  9
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
OBGYN 's  Response
Mar 2014
Hello and welcome,

I understand her concern as well as your problem.

I would certainly not advice any contraception in a person who is not sexually active. Pills contain medicines [ hormones] and they do have their own set of side effects.
You can always use condoms in case of an emergency or an Ipill for the first time. Once you have an active sexual life, I would recommend pills.

Also Please undersatnd the importance of having a monogamous relationship and use of condoms as contraceptives as they will protect you from many diseases like HIV AIDS ad other sexually transmitted infections.

Discuss all this with your mother and explain to her your stand as well as the fact that you are not sexaully active. Also build up her confidence that you will choose safe sex whenever you begin your sexual life. I am sure she will undrestand and respect your decision. She has your best in her heart and that is reflected in her concern. I am sure she will listen.

Hope this satisfies your query.
Thanks for using HCM.     
Feel free to ask any more questions that you may have.
Dr Madhuri Bagde
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist
Answered: Thu, 24 Apr 2014
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor