Is Norethisterone effective at controlling vaginal bleeding?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 13 Oct 2017 in Women's Health
Question: i am currently on depo provera and have bled for weeks non stop

i will be going on holiday soon

can i take norethisterone to stop the bleeding?

And will this prevent me from bleeding during or after sex?

i will be reunited with my fiance after not seeing him for 6 months and would like to have intercourse during this period..
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Use an oral contraceptive instead.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.

The bleeding that you are having s a side effect of depo provera. Norethisterone can stop the bleeding but it is better to start with a regular combined oral contraceptive pill for next 20 days to stop the bleeding completely.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow-up queries that you have.

Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
I tried the combined pill for 15 days but it didn't work hence i was prescribed norethisterone
Brief Answer:
Norethisterone can help.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If combined pill has not helped then you can try norethisterone. It can help in stopping the bleeding.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 hours later
After taking the Utovlan, the bleeding stopped on the 2nd day

But now on day 3, have started bleeding again. Does this mean that it wont work?

Im really worried
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The bleeding will gradually stop.

Detailed Answer:
Hello. No need to worry. It takes 4-5 days for hormonal tablets to show an effect. Do continue with the tablets and see if it gradually decreases.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Once it settles down,
will i be able to have sex without worrying about bleeding during sex or afterwards?

Or should i expect to be bleeding during and after sex
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
No bleeding during sex.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Once it settles down and the bleeding stops then there should not be any bleeding even after sex. Let the bleeding stop completely before starting having sex.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 21 hours later
hi,

i took my Utovlan tablet about 1 and a half hours later than the time i took it
this morning and started spotting, now the bleeding is heavier.

should i continue taking it as normal or increase the dosage?

or should i decrease the time between intervals
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Increase the dosage thrice a day.

Detailed Answer:
You can increase the dosage to thrice a day. The bleeding should gradually decrease.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 23 hours later
I am already on it three times a day

But my problem is the bleeding will stop
Then start then stop again and start...

Its very irregular... so i dont know if the dosage is not high enough...
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dont increase the dose further.

Detailed Answer:
Thrice a day is the dosage enough to control the bleeding. Do not increase the dose further. Just take the medicine on time and wait for the bleeding to stop.
Regards.