Teenager. Irregular periods even after 3 years of first period. Advice

Hello. My daughter is 17 yrs and has been having her periods since she was 14 years. Though it is 3 years and more , she still has irregular periods. Sometimes she skips a month too. Her height is 5'1 and weight is 48 kgs.
Till date, we have not taken any medicine or consultation for this as I was told my physician that it is common for teenage girls to have irregular period and that the problem shall sort itself. Now, i am worried because this continures even after 3 years of her first period. Please advise.
Tue, 13 Aug 2013