Suggest treatment for cyst in maxillary and sphenoid sinuses

My son Sameer is suffering from foll.symptoms- 1.Pulling/twitching sensation on right jaw. 2.Headache. 3.Vertigo on closing eyes. 4.Acidity. We consulted neurologist.After MRI he was referred to ENT surgeon for choked sinuses.ENT surgeon called for CT scan which revealed that there is a small cyst each in maxillary and sphenoid sinuses.We have come to know that complications may arise on surgical treatment due to close proximity of imp.structures to the sphenoid.Is there alternative course of treatment? Kindly advise.
Tue, 21 Sep 2021
Otolaryngologist / ENT Specialist 's  Response

Vertigo and twitching could not be caused by cysts in paranasal sinuses. Headache - yes. Usually, the cysts are benign and are unlikely to cause grave symptoms except a sense of blockage, discharge, phlegm, headache and decreased sense of smell. Usually, cysts could be left as such if they are small in size and no treatment is required except for nasal steroidal sprays like Fluticasone or Mometasone at night in both nostrils to gradually improve nasal patency which may relieve headache.

If cysts seem to be large and eroding the bones around them (suggesting they are perhaps not cysts, instead something sinister), surgery is treatment of choice, an expert endoscopic surgeon would be able to do it without or minimal complications. However I'd suggest you to rule out other causes of twitching and vertigo, causes related to ear and would advise audiological tests like PTA or BERA depending on the age of the patient initially.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Eishal Arshad, Otolaryngologist / ENT Specialist

Recent questions on Brain tumor

Hello, Vertigo and twitching could not be caused by cysts in paranasal sinuses. Headache - yes. Usually, the cysts are benign and are unlikely to cause grave symptoms except a sense of blockage, discharge, phlegm, headache and decreased sense of smell. Usually, cysts could be left as such if they are small in size and no treatment is required except for nasal steroidal sprays like Fluticasone or Mometasone at night in both nostrils to gradually improve nasal patency which may relieve headache. If cysts seem to be large and eroding the bones around them (suggesting they are perhaps not cysts, instead something sinister), surgery is treatment of choice, an expert endoscopic surgeon would be able to do it without or minimal complications. However I d suggest you to rule out other causes of twitching and vertigo, causes related to ear and would advise audiological tests like PTA or BERA depending on the age of the patient initially. Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr. Eishal Arshad, Otolaryngologist / ENT Specialist