Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

What causes increased pain under the breasts while bending down?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 876 Questions
Hello I am 65 yr old medical history of osteo arthritis brain tumor removal non cancerous acoustic neuroma which left me deaf in my right ear; during the surgery several nerves were damaged during the surgery resulting a stroke: I have 4 nodules on my lungs (no MRI in 2 years) chronic bronchitis saw my pulmonologist this week he said my lungs sounded good. I mentioned my pain; I am experiencing moderate pain under both of my breast I guess to my rib cage; especially when I bend over; I am overweight; never smoked the pain has been worse on my right side but lately my left side is hurting; I cough constantly! Even sitting down I can feel some pain but not mode ate. I describe it like muscle spams. My mom died of lung cancer which started in her breast area my dad died of colon and liver cancel. I never smoked.
Wed, 16 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be Costo Chindritis and Osteoporosis

Detailed Answer:
Hi I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic Surgeon.
I have read the entire history .The pain you are having below both your breasts , which increases on bending down, in my opinion is most likely to be costo chondritis- inflammation of muscule attachment to ribs( at Costal margins). The pain in this condition is aggravated by forward bending and coughing // sneezing. It is also usually associated with vit D deficiency and osteoporosis.
I suggest pain killers ,muscle relaxants ,Vit D3 and calcium supplementation.
Please get your Serum Vitamin D3 ,Se Calcium and Bone Densitometry ( Dexa Scan) to diagnose vit D deficiency and bone weakness.
Thanx for the question. Please feel free to ask any other question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor