What causes severe headaches after a lumbar puncture?

Neurologist
Question
I had a spinal tap they removed some liquid on 11/22 today is the 11/26 and i still have really bad headaches i cant even get up should i go back to the ER?
Fri, 4 May 2018 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Neurological examination/MRI Brain.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar, a neurologist, here to answer your query.

Though, post lumbar puncture headache is very common,however, it improves within 2-3 days usually. Taking a lot of fluids is crucial for its improvement. Since the headache has persisted for longer time, I would suggest to get physically examined by a Neurologist and a brain imaging may be required to rule out any complication.

Hope that helps.If you have further questions,I shall be glad to answer them.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)

Follow-up: What causes severe headaches after a lumbar puncture? 7 minutes later
When i went to the er they did a CT and a MRI should i get another one?? I just want headaches to go away. I went to er because my optic nerves were very swollen didnt have a brain tumor everyycame back good but my pressure was 23 instead of 10-15..

Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you may need a repeat scan if the headache does not improve.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being in follow-up.

Firstly, if the headache is not improving, you need to get yourself examined by the Neurologist. Further, to look for any primary complications or spinal tap associated complications, repeat scan may be required as well.

Hope that helps.If you have further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)