Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Suffering from hair loss, dandruff, receding hairline. Family history of same condition. Dermatologist consultation needed?

hi doctor, i am 36 yrs old female since six months i have hair fall of long strands, and from last three months i realised the seriousness and started taking measures , like going for kerala oils and then last week started focussing on dandruff measures also .. i feel my hair line receding and scantyhair on temple region ,we are xxxxx based family ,for last 2 yrs we are in XXXX,my daughter of 10 yrs. also experiences the same problem, i think the time has come to meet the dermatolgist..pls give me your suggestion
Asked On : Mon, 25 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  133
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Dermatologist 's  Response
Thanks for your query

For a chronic hair loss, with a positive family history, treatment is usually long term.Ideally you should visit a dermatologist who will be able to guide you examining your scalp and the pattern of hair loss you have.
You might be required to do certain blood tests and abdominal ultrasonography to ascertain the actual cause before starting the therapy.
For dandruff you can start using Ketoconazole 2% lotion twice weekly as shampoo for a month.
You may also start having Biotin (5mg) tabs to help in hair loss till you can see a dermatologist.
Hope this is helpful
Take care.
Answered: Mon, 25 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dermatologist Dr. Ilyas Patel's  Response
Hye! You are having seborriec dermatitis.Hair loss is due to SD.Apply mild steroid lotion daily at night. Take methyle prednesolone tab. in tappering dose. Take biotin containing tablet daily. Do shampoo with ketoconazole containing shampoo alternate days. Avoid stress, oily food. After control of dandruff, apply minoxidil 5 percent twice a day ... You may have good hair growth.... Ok
Answered: Mon, 25 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor