Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Suffering from chronic gastritis, bitter bile reflux. How to cure?

I am plagued by chronic gastritis , but not with acid reflux . I get bile reflux - very bitter. what will help I ve tried mastic gum capsules by NutriCology, but am getting stomach pains and gassiness and continuing bile reflux. Thank you, Anneliese Macdonald I m not continuing with this request. Please cancel. Anneliese Macdonald
Asked On : Sun, 10 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  270
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Jan 2013
Thanks for posting your query.
Do you have positive family history of diabetes or hypothyroidism?
With the available described symptoms, you are most likely suffering from peptic ulcer disease or decreased gastrointestinal motility.
Helicobacter pylori bacteria is responsible for peptic ulcer treatment and eradication is essential for complete relief.
You should consult with your treating doctor/ internal medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should go for complete hemogram, thyroid profile and blood sugar, urea breath test for H. Pylori bacteria.
You should also go for endoscopy for better clarification.
Meanwhile, you should take proton pump inhibitors along with prokinetics (which increase gastrointestinal motility).
Avoid tomatoes, citrus fruits, onion, garlic, oily and spicy food (particularly at night times), tea and coffee.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Answered: Sun, 10 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Nsah Bernard's  Response
Dec 2012

Thanks for posting on HCM
Well if you are having chronic gastritis a good way to start is to investigate first the cause and then the extend to which the gastritis has progressed whether it is ulcerated or has abrasions.
You will require to do a H. pylori testing and endoscopy. If H. pylori positive then eradication of the germ is recommended with antibiotics and PPI. If no infection of H. pylori then curative treatment with antacids such as PPI (eg. omeprazole), H2 inhibitors ( e.g cimetidine), Antacids (e.g AlOH or MgOH etc). These have to be give for a long course associated with dietary measures. Avoid alcohol, smoking, eating spicy irritative food (especially pepper), avoid starvation etc.
Consultation with gastroenterologist is recommended.
Note that cure is possible but if you do not follow general measures, it might reoccur.

Hope this helps
Answered: Sun, 10 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

4 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor