What causes difficulty in swallowing food?

Dr. Esmeralda Sera

Oncologist

Posted on Mon, 21 May 2018 in Cancer
Question: Approximately the last ten years I developed a problem swallowing food. I eat slow and chew my food but 2 to 3 times a year the food gets impacted at back of my throat. It's like I can't breath and have to stick my finger down my throat to vomit food. Afterwards sometimes i feel like I'm wheezing and I spit out saliva clumps. I then have to wait at least a couple minutes to drink water to make sure my thoat is clear and that I am able to swallow. Even to swallow water without spitting up water. This last month is first time it happened twice in one day. That day it happened with eating meat. But ion past it happened eating tuna sandwhich or rice with chicken. And on occasion I have chest pain upper chest area mostly left side and center. Pain is mild. One recent night I had severe pain in chest while laying in bed lasted a few minutes. Last month or so I have been having chest pain when I eat and after eating that can last for hours. Mild pain When that happen I eat slower and drink water to help digest food. Because it feels like food is going to get stuck/ impacted in my throat upper esophagus . Last month it took a few minutes to clear food from throats before I could actually swallow water. Those few time a year food gets impacted it happens suddenly and I wind up having to force vomit food.
Answered by Dr. Esmeralda Sera 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Reflux

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking

All of symptoms that you have prescribed seams to have the origine from gastrointestinal system, from oisofagus,stomach

They are issues how u can give those symptoms like oisofagus XXXXXXX GERD etc

I will suggest you to have oisofagoskopy ore gastroscopy .

Fill free to ask further

Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana