Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Suffering from a disease which causes increase in WBCs and decrease in the RBC levels. Name?

I have a close friend in Germany, he just turned 60, and about 2 years ago he was diagnosed with some sort of blood disease, I cannot remember the name, but it is causing his white cells to increase and red cells to decrease so they are both falling outside the normal limits. They have told him to come in once a year and get checked. And it sounds like there is not really any good treatment available. I would like to know the name of this condition so I can research it, and also any info about prognosis . Thanks in advance, Diana O.
Asked On : Sat, 16 Feb 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  62
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Sep 2012
Hello welcome to HCM, I am Dr das

Look, many diseases can increase WBC and reduce RBC. It ranges from leukemia to myelodysplatic syndrome and lymphomas.

To come to a definite diagnosis, other parametersshould be checked. Every particular disease condition has other diagnostic criteria.

So, without knowing other particulars of this disease, it cannot be commented about the diagnosis.

Answered: Sun, 17 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain's  Response
Hi and thanks for your question,
the commonest disease that causes an increase in white blood cell level with a decrease in hemoglobin levels is a type of blood malignancy generally called leukaemias. Leukamias are cancers of the white blood cells. Other conditions like severe infections could also cause an increase in white blood cells too and anemia.
Autoimmune diseases lie systematic lupus erythematosus in some rare cases could present itself in the same way.
A definitive diagnosis is made when all the other possibilities have been excluded. A bone marrow aspirate, an exam done wit the bone marrow to confirm diagnosis is usually most appropriate.
I suggest patient should visit his hematologist or internist for a proper clinical exams and appropriate exams. Exam results are key issues in determining the diagnosis and proposing an appropriate treatment plan.
Thanks and hope this helps,
Best regards,
Luchuo, MD
Answered: Sun, 17 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Sagnik Ray's  Response
it can be a case of acute myeloid leukemia or chronic myelocytic/lymphocytic leukemia.
Answered: Wed, 27 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor