Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

Suffer from raised heartbeat. Due to anxiety or heart disease?

I need to know wether I have heart disease or if its just my health anxiety messing with my nerves.
To start, when I sit or lay for a while and stand up my heart beats hard for a few seconds.
I'm feeling like I'm about to have a heart attack most of the time.
My heart beats fast when I sleep or try to.
I have a hard time drifting off to sleep at night most of the time.
Being uncertain of my condition drives me insane.
It would really calm me down to get good news about my health.
Please reply as soon as you can, I'm scared out of my mind.
Thank you.
Asked On : Tue, 9 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  44
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Sep 2013
Hello, thanks for the "Q". Increase heart beat is not an indication of any heart disease we call it palpitation, simply it may be due to anxiety , fear, anger ( sudden) , good news ( sudden), shock etc. Do a simple test go upstairs quickly ( 30-40 stairs), if your's breath become very very fast (rapid) and you feel that you have to take rest at once i.e. heart ailment, if no breathlessness and still feel good no heart ailment. Lipid is a type of cholestrole (fat) which is normally 160-240 mg, if increase might be some heart disease not necessary. L D L if very high in this category ( LIPID) certain chances of heart disease.
Answered: Tue, 9 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Heart disease is one of the many reasons for increase rate / often not the usual one!
Anxiety is highly likely but should better be an exclusion diagnosis, except by a Psychiatrist...
Anaemia / Alcohol / Thyroid / Tobacco (smoking) / Caffeine (too much coffee, cola) / Medicines like Phenylephrine used for ‘cold’ / Salbutamol used for asthma and so on may be responsible.

THE FIRST STEP IS TO SEE A CARDIOLOGIST / Irregular heart beats need to be DOCUMENTED by ElectroCardioGram (EKG). HOLTER (24 to 48 hour ambulatory monitoring) / ECHOcardiogram / TMT (Treadmill exercise ECG) / LABORATORY work-up – may all be necessary for further assessment and assistance.

The treating doctor may suggest them depending on need, based on his assessment of the situation.

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Tue, 9 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor