Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online

Stubborn child. Suggest doctors to help handle?

I am from India in Chennai at ayanavaram need a psychiatrist who could help my daugther who has taken a decision of going to another church which is spiritually not leading properly and we are unable to stop her because she is stuborn and strong in her decision and even ready to leave us and from home kindly sugesst a doctor for our mental decision to gain our child s future for her soul Mother of the child
Asked On : Wed, 26 Dec 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  13
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I understand that you are very upset and disturbed due to your daughter's decisions. But I would also like to let you know that the role of a psychiatrist is not to influence or change anybody's individual decision. If your daughter is a major and has made an independent, thoughtful and strong decision, (which may be against you), then it not the role and not ethically right for any doctor to influence the person according to your decisions or preferences. But a psychiatrist can do a psychological assessment to see if she is making any rash or misinformed decision without a clarity of thought and accordingly help her have a clear and patient thinking before making the decision. The decision is ultimately still hers.

If you would like to consult me, I come for visiting consultation at V.K. Hospital Purasawakkam, Chennai (Phone: 044-26426922).

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Answered: Fri, 28 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Sundar Gnanavel's  Response
I can understand your predicament as a parent. However, we as psychiatrist believe in independence/autonomy/decision-making capacity of an individual provided it is an informed choice and the person does not suffer from any underlying psychiatric symptoms/disorder. This needs to be ascertained by a qualified psychiatrist before deciding on further course of action.
Dr Sundar Gnanavel
Answered: Sun, 30 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor