Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Small child, suffering from hydrocele, increasing testicle size. Ultrasound shows no complication. Surgery?

Hello dr my baby is 15 months old and he is suffering of hydrocel since last 5-6 months. we have consulted drs 2-3 times and last month ultrasound was also taken, which shows no complicacy so far. but testical size is increasing. should us wait or we should go for operation? is there any other method to cure rather than operatrion?
Asked On : Sun, 2 Sep 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  54
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Pediatrician, Surgery 's  Response
Dear Mr Rajneesh

80 % of all hydroceles in babies get better by the age of 2 years. So if there is no alarming increase in the size, it is better to wait until the age of 2 years. If it is still there, it needs to be operated. The operation is very straightforward and most hospitals will not even admit the child for the surgery. It would be done in the morning and the child can go home in the afternoon and resume all his activities / playing/ running around/ etc from the very same day. There is no medicine that can cure this but time may cure it until the age of 2yrs. If it is still there after 2 years, it is unlikely to get better after that. But be reassured that this is not a disease to be afraid of.


Dr Antony Robert
Child Surgeon
Answered: Fri, 7 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor