Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Repeat FP and PP test to know if it is juvenile diabetes? What should I do?

my daughter aged13 yrs, her FP was 125 & PP was 159, urine FP & PP are NIL.HbA1c is 6.1 1. my question is should i repeat the test again or based on the first test any medicaton is right now reqd pl. ? 2. what test to be conducted for juvenile Diabetes, How to Know she has juvenile Diabetes, is it life threatening disease? 3. Children Diabetes cannot be postponed for some more years by Diet + Exercise. kindly advise. my daughter aged13 yrs, Her weight is 60 Kgs In routine blood work it was found that my daughter;s FP was 125 & PP was 159, urine FP & PP are NIL. her HbA1c is 6.1. As Iam worried about my Daughter,should I repeat one more FP & PP Test . 1.what is juvenile diabetes, medication is required can it be postponed for 10 yrs with strict diet and exercise. month ago she is matured my question is this sugar changes have taken place because of hormonal imbalances .or not 3.when blood work to be taken for GTT fasting are Random. kindly advise. Asked by: bvrkumari1999 On : Thu, 16 Aug 2012 Answers: 1 Views: 4 Report Abuse Also find answers on: Blood sugar Diabetes mellitus High-fructose corn syrup Answer this Question ยป Dr.Ramesh M.Vachharajani, General & Family Physician 5328 Answers since Mar 2011 Answered: 3 days ago Current rating Hi, BVkumari, Thanks for query. It seems that she might have juvenile diabetes. ( hours are enough for fasting blood sugar. To confirm the juvenile diabetes go for GTT and blood HbA1 C level. If juvenile diabetes is not there then it can be controlled with strict diet control and exercise.
Asked On : Sat, 25 Aug 2012
Answers:  3 Views:  92
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Diabetologist 's  Response
Aug 2012
Hi There.

I went through the history you have posted here about your daughter's sugars. She fits in a classification of IGT- Impaired glucose tolerance. She DOES NOT HAVE JUVENILE DIABETES, a term used to be for type 1 diabetes, a insulin dependent type of diabetes.
She attained her menarche and yes, this is one of the reasons for mild hormonal changes in the body leading to insulin resistance. But being overweight, not exercising and eating too many calories, consuming more of a junk food are the main reasons why more and more of teen-agers are deveoloping this kind of impaired glucose tolerance. Please make sure she and the whole family change the lifestyle and she would certainly delay a frank diabetes for many years. Make sure the whole family is supportive and not critical of her lifestyle. Help her understand the ways to change it and be supportive in sharing the healthy diet and exercise patterns for her to bring her sugars down and avoid the diabetes for next many years. All the very best. Get back for any further queries.
Answered: Sun, 26 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Diabetologist Dr. Madhuri Patil's  Response
Aug 2012
Just repeat the test 3 months after she goes through diet and exercise planning. again I am repeating she doesn't have 'Juvenile diabetes' which people refer for 'type 1 diabetes'. please do not get overwhelmed by the terms. Act on the condition the way I mentioned. You have already done the fasting and PP tests along with HbA1c test, so need to repeat them now. Repeat them after 3 months to see the difference. If no difference in spite of strict diet control and exercise schedule, then see a Diabetologist for further evaluation. Take it easy and positively.
Answered: Sun, 26 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Prasad Akole's  Response
Dear friend, thank you for choosing HCM.
it is just one reading and the HbA1C is normal.
I would advise repeating a GTT which challenges with sugar and checks early glucose intolerence.
also there is no sugar in urine.
so , relax, take the repeat test fully fasting 8-10 hours at a standard NABL accredited lab.
if it shows criteria fitting diabetes, pl. start with consultation of a paediatrician.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily.
Take care and please keep me informed of your progress.
Good Luck !
May I request you to rate your experience here before you close.
Thank you.
Answered: Sun, 26 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor