Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Pus formation in the ear. Had a surgery for lump removal from ear in childhood. Any permanent cure?

I have a question, when i was about 6 years old i had a bump on my ear and it hurt reaaly bad and i would cry, it kept getting bigger so my parents took me to the dr and i ended up having surgery, they poppes it and it leaked lots of fluid out. Now i am 27 and i have always had it and there is a hole im the center where they popped it and it has puss that comes out. Can you please tell me what it is and is there anyway to get rid of it. Thank you
Asked On : Tue, 30 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  29
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Hello Princess
If you are having it from childhood ie recurrent infections at the same place on ear and have had what i can make out by your description incision and drainage.
Then it looks like a congenital problem like a pre auricular sinus that occurs at junction of ear and cheek at upper end. or there can be sinus at other place.
You must see an ENT specialist as doing an incision and drainage and taking antibiotics is not a treatment .
Proper treatment is complete removal of the sinus ,,which is a small surgery.but needs to be done.
This advise is based on my assumption based on your description .But the best would be a proper examination by ENT specialist.I would have helped if you have given a picture.
Get well soon
And you can get back to me anytime.
Answered: Tue, 30 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Pathologist and Microbiologist Dr. Shailja Puri 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM,

The history given by you is suggestive of acute serous otitis media (ASOM).
ASOM is inflammation of the middle ear cavity. A perforation in the ear drum has occurred due to ASOM
It is caused by bacteria and causes accumulation of pus and pain.
If you are having the same problem again, you need to visit an ENT specialist for culture of pus.
Culture will isolate the organism causing the infection.
Culture sensitivity of the pus will help to prescribe relevant antibiotics.

Since, the problem is recurrent, proper toileting of the middle ear cavity and insertion of tube may be required. The tube keeps the middle ear cavity aerated and drains any accumulation of pus or discharge.
You need to discuss it with your ENT specialist.

Thanks and take care.
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Answered: Tue, 30 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor