Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Pre-teenager suffering from vomiting and Acid reflux. Reason for suggesting SED test?

My 12 yr. old son has been throwing up on and off since December, after a really bad 8 day stretch of a stomach flu virus, he does have acid reflux . At doctor today put him on reflux medicine and also doing more blood test for his SED levels were at a 13, also mentioned his protien levels not sure what they were. I do not understand the SED levels or what they may be looking for.
Asked On : Sat, 9 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  17
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician 's  Response

SED rate- indicates Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate- if its high, it indicates some inflammation going on in the body. It can be high in infections, anemia etc.

Alone done, ESR is not much informative. It`s done along with other battery of investigations.

How ever ESR of 13 is well within normal limits.

For his reflux: After some viruses gastritis and reflux are commonly seen.
If he takes medications for his reflux adequately- he will be okay.

Along with medications, when he lies down, try to raise the head end of his bed. Just a pillow is not sufficient. This will help for his reflux.

You may ask your doctor the details of the tests being done and what do they want to rule out.
Please feel free to get back with details.

Best wishes.
Answered: Sat, 9 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor