Owl Image

My toes nail keeps breaking

Hi i'm 23 yrs old, My toes nail keeps breaking i don't know the reason why. Pls give me some suggestion wt to do...
Mon, 31 Oct 2011
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Treatment/Therapy
Hello.
Frequent breaking of toenails is either due to recurrent trauma, tight shoes or due to nutritional deficiencies. An examination of the nails and nail bed will help in having an approximate idea about the possible nutritional deficiencies.
Meanwhile have a protein and calcium rich diet with adequate iron, zinc and magnesium supplements. Massaging the nails also helps in increasing the blood circulation.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Dr. Praveen Tayal
drtayal72@gmail.com
Dermatologist Dr. Puvvula Kishore Kumar's  Response
Hi....Mr.Takashi...,

thanksa for your Query...,

Breaking of toenails are due to ....

1) fungal infection..,2) psoriasis ..,3) eczema..,4)Nutritional disturbances 5) Paronychia...,

Treatment side.....very good treatment is avlable...first to confirm the diagnosis...
1) if fungus.....fluconazole 150 mg weekly once for 8 weeks...,
2) if psoriasis.... intralesional steriod therapy ..at the site
of lunula area....it is useful in eczema cases also
3) calcium supplements...and nutrition diet..,exercise
daily..,mental relaxation by meditation..,
4) Locally... antifungal lotion....Amorolfine (Loceryl 5%)Galderma Company.., Naillacquer will give very good result.., o.k. goodluck
The frequent breaking of toe nail is because of two reasons. 1) Onychomycosis- Toe nail fungus 2) Poor fitting shoes. The fungus normally grows and accumulates below the toenails because the area is moist, warm and dark, a hot place for breeding. Even if you take good care of toes and wear tight fitted shoes, you can be infected by nail fungus. This is because tight shoes block the passage of air and light, making the area dark, moist and warm. For the second reason of poor fitting shoes, one should choose a shoe which leaves half a thumb gap between the tip of inside edge of shoe and the tip of the great toe. Good foot hygiene, including wearing clean socks, rotating shoes and thoroughly drying feet between the toes to prevent further spreading of infection. One can try rubbing tea trea oil/ vinegar/ mouth wash/ hydrogen peroxide with a swab of cotton over the area and leaving them to dry for air. Do not worry if the toe nail is cut, it grows again after the fungus is cleared. It takes 4 to 6 weeks for complete growth. The specialist one has to visit for the toe nail problems are podiatrist/Dermatologist. The usage of medicines is for long time as the fungus is not easy to treat once infected. So do follow the expert's advice.