Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Missed period after having sex. Should I take Regestron?

hello doctor this is priya from india i have very irregular periods since many months recently i consulted gynocologist and she advised me to take t.regestron,which i have used for a week than i got my periods on the 5th day of my period me and my husband got close this month again i missed my period should i continue the same pills and also let me kow are there any chances of getting pregency using pills for period regurility or should i need to wait until i get my period cycle normal
Asked On : Wed, 10 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  48
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
OBGYN 's  Response
hello there..

Thanks for the query.
Regesterone is a progesterone hormone which help in withdrawal bleeding after use in ammenorhea (no menses). It has no role as a contraceptive ie to avoid pregnancy.\It would definitely regularize your cycles if you use it for last 10 days in your cycle.
But that wont provide you contraception. You can still conceive if you have unprotected intercourse. As you say you had unprotected intercourse this cycle and you have missed your periods , it is possible that you are pregnant. So i suggest you do a urine test for pregnancy. Incase its negative, then you can relax. If you have irregular cycles for more than 3 months, you need a proper evaluation which includes ultrasound and hormonal tests to rule out pathological causes of irregular periods. TO regularize your periods , you can use oral contraceptive pills which will also provide you contraception instead of regesterone which would just help you in getting periods but doesnot provide contraception.
Hope i have answered your query.

Answered: Thu, 11 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor