Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

MRI shows diffuse disc bulges at all levels on T11/12 to L5/S1, causing mild thecal sac indentation. Suggestions ?

I have just received my MIR scan report. It says that there are very mild but diffuse disc bulges at all levels on T11/12 to L5/S1, mostly under 2mm, not noticeably narrowing the neural exit canals . of note is the L4/5 disc with a slightly more prominent focal posterior central bulge of 4 mm, causing mild thecal sac indentation. \
Asked On : Sat, 17 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  105
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Spine Surgeon 's  Response
thank you for your question to HCM.

The MRI findings always need to be evaluated in the light of patient's symptoms. Diffuse disc bulges are common in even healthy middle aged individuals and unless they correlate with your symptoms these are usually benign. These disc bulges are a result of phenomenon called disc degeneration and no treatment is needed for them.

If your symptom is only back pain I would suggest antiinflammatory medications like diclofenac or ibuprofen, local analgesic gels and physiotherapy. In the presence of radiating leg pain a consultation with orthopaedic/spine surgeon is needed for clinical examination to evaluate if these findings correlate with your symptoms.

Hope this is helpful. I will be happy to answer any questions.
Answered: Mon, 9 Sep 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor