Suggest treatment for muscle cramps in the feet and legs

Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 5 May 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: What meds are useful for muscle cramps in feet and legs
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your medication is fine but add muscle relaxant , mineral supplements and always stay well dehydrated .

Detailed Answer:
Hi i am Dr Ahmed Aly
thanks for using HealthcareMagic site ,
I had gone through your question and understand your concerns ..

In my opinion on top of medications you have to try treat the underlying cause to decrease your needs for medication and the frequency of the cramps.
In most of cases it happens with dehydration , loss of fluids in the body , over exertion of your muscles and joint , deficiency of minerals (calcium , potassium , sodium and magnesium ) , sciatica or spinal disc herniation . alcoholism and renal impairments may also cause such symptoms .
For my patients i recommend hot or cold foment after the cramp , stretching of cramped muscle , tylenol tabs when needed , ibuprofen will be fine with the add of a muscle relaxer like myolgin 400mg capsules , high fluid intake , bananas , orange juice and milk will be effective for most of cases .
If it persists i recommend EMG ( neuromyography ) and physical examination for proper evaluation and management .

Please click and consider a 5 star rating with some positive feedback if the information was helpful. Wish you good health,
Any further clarifications feel free to ask.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy