Suggest treatment for severe back pain

Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 3 May 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I a looking for a really great back doctor. I need a hip replacement,but after MRI my doctor will not do it until I see a back doctor. He said I have a couple of bulging discs and wantsto make sure that doesn't need to be done first. I have been in SEVERE pain for weeks and now something has to be done. I had two previous knee replacements that have healed great. Dr. XXXXXXX did not send me home with anything for pain knowing the shape I am in at this point. I NEED SOMETHING DONE AND NOW! I don't have images at this time because I was supposed to have an appointment made yesterday.
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Diclofenac tabs or intramuscular injections will be fine for helping you sleep , physical treatment is helpful , medications and steroids is effective for most of cases else you have to visit your neurologist .

Detailed Answer:
Hi i am Dr Ahmed Aly
thanks for using HealthcareMagic site ,
I had gone through your question and understand your concerns ..

I hope you feel better soon , from your given history it seems like you have a kind of spinal disc herniation that causes nerve compression thus producing such constant neuropathic pain . i actually need to see your MRI report to properly direct you but i will try to give you the main guide lines .
For my patients i recommend physical therapy first as it plays the most important role in such cases . physiotherapy sessions with a good chiropractor , spinal straightening exercises , back stretching exercises , hot massages and even yoga is very helpful . try to avoid heavy lifting , over weighing , vigorous movements , bad sleeping or sitting postures .
Medical treatment include painkillers like tramadol 400mg tabs when needed , hot gentle massaging with topical anti-inflammatory gels , B12 vitamin supplementation , muscle relaxants , steroid tabs or injections are prescribed in chronic severe cases .
If pain persists i recommend you get your X rays and MRI scans and follow them up with your neurologist for proper evaluation and management . nowadays minor invasive endoscopic intervention are effective or your neurosurgeon may prefer spinal fixation with rods and plates if your case requires . ( only if medical and physical therapy failed for 6 consecutive month )
For now try to rest and follow these instructions and you may use declophen intramuscular vials to help you sleep or use sleeping aids pills till you go to your physician .

Please click and consider a 5 star rating with some positive feedback if the information was helpful. Wish you good health,
Any further clarifications feel free to ask.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T