Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Knot outside of vagina, painful, brown discharge. What can I do?

Yesterday while camping with my husband I felt a small knot ( small slightly painful about the size of a pea- on the lower left outside of my vagina ) when I used the restroom. Last night it had gotten a bit larger and a little more painful. Today it is very large ( about half the size of a golf ball) extremely painful. My friend is an ER nurse. She told me it was probably a boil? To soak in a hot bath with Epsom salt, baking soda and peroxide and to apply hot compresses. She said it should come to a head. I have done those things, it did bring the swelling down slightly however a head did not form. Me in all of my wisdom- without a medical degree- thought if I used a sterilized needle and made a small pin prick that maybe I could drain it a bit to get some relief. A small amount of very thick brownish red foul smelling stuff came out. Gross. I have soaked twice since then and have yet to see a head form or had anymore drainage. I now have a large dark brownish red top on this golf ball extremely painful thing.Any advice?
Asked On : Thu, 8 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  56
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
OBGYN 's  Response
Jan 2016
Hallow Dear,

From your history, it seems that you are having a Bartholin's abscess. Bartholin's gland is situated under the labia majora and is very vulnerable to get infected, usually by Sexually transmitted infections like Chlamydia or Gonorrhoea. This infection soon heads towards Bartholin's abscess.

Bartholin's abscess needs to be incised and its edges need to be marsupialized lest the recurrence. Also you will need to undergo an antibiotics course. Hence, please do not puncture it with any needle. By such action the abscess will recur and moreover, you may introduce very serious infection like Tetanus.

Please report to a Gynaecologist for incision, drainage and marsupialization. Both the partners need to undergo treatment.

I hope this helps you.

Dr. Nishikant Shrotri
Answered: Wed, 27 Jul 2016
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor