• question-icon

Suggest home remedies for acid reflux

Posted on Thu, 10 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: What is the best home remedy for acid reflux? I had to stop taking Ranitidine and Omeprazole because I was getting rashes. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Remain patient natural methods take months.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.

Have gone through your query in detail and i appreciate your concerns.

Milk can temporarily buffer acid production and provide relief from acid reflux caused due to low stomach acid. It also helps to soothe the protective lining in the esophagus. Therefore, drink a glass full of fat free milk or almond milk to get rid of the problem.

Inner Aloe vera leaf gel supports digestion and is another great alternative for soothing acid reflux.

A spoonful of sodium bicarbonate, or teaspoon-full to be exact, can help put an end to the gnawing, burning, sensation of heartburn caused by acid reflux. Baking soda, as sodium bicarbonate is more commonly known, can help your reflux and in turn help your heartburn because it is a base substance. It has a pH higher than 7.0, and therefore neutralizes stomach acid

Citrus drinks such as orange, tangerine, grapefruit, and other drinks like pineapple juice and apple juice are very acidic and may cause acid reflux. Other types of juices are less acidic and thus less likely to trigger GERD symptoms in most people.So stay away from them.

Acid reflux occurs when stomach acid rises into the esophagus. Some say that eating an apple after a meal or before bedtime may help neutralize this acid by creating an alkaline environment in the stomach. dilute a tablespoon of enzyme-rich apple cider vinegar with a cup of water or tea, and drink before a meal.Add 2 tsp of Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar to ¼ cup of water and drink. Repeat every 5 minutes until heartburn subsides

The Journal of Dental Research conducted a study that showed people with symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), or chronic heartburn, experienced relief when they chewed a piece of sugar-free gum for 30 minutes after a meal. This is because chewing gum stimulates the salivary glands, and increases the flow of saliva. Any acid that has built up in the gut is diluted and washed away or cleared out more quickly. Processed foods and sugars are almost a guaranteed way to exacerbate acid reflux and create a bacterial imbalance in the stomach and intestinal tract. To combat this, eat fresh organic fruits and vegetable.

Banana is one of the best remedies to treat acid reflux because it is a natural antacid. It contains potassium which helps to reduce stomach acid levels and improve digestion. Eat a banana after each meal.

Organic honey acts as a soothing agent, helps to adjust the body’s pH, and neutralizes the stomach acids. So, take a spoon full of honey before bed.

- Avoid alcohol or smoking.
- No aerated beverages.
- Take light non spicy easily digestible food for few days.
- No Fast food like pizza or burger should be taken.
- Avoid fatty foods.

In case you are interested in herbal or ayurvedic treatment i can suggest you that also.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 33 hours later
Thank you for your response Dr. XXXXXXX I have tried some of your methods, and they do appear to be giving me some degree of relief. I would be interested in herbal treatment options. I do take Warfarin and Amlodipine daily. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

According to Ayurveda, Acid Reflux is a result of aggravation of pitta Dosha. Pitta is an Ayurvedic humor that symbolizes heat or fire. It is hot, sharp, intense, acidic and pungent in nature and is located in the stomach. Aggravated pittaleads to increase of acidic content in stomach fluids. Actually, the reflux of the stomach's liquid contents into the esophagus occurs in most normal individuals. In such patients, refluxed liquid contains acid more often due to aggravated pitta, which leads to acid reflux.

Make a powdered mixture of equal parts of rock candy (mishri), fennel, and green cardamom. Whenever you experience heartburn, mix 1 teaspoon of the mixture in a glass of cold milk and drink.

Mix together equal parts of powdered fennel, licorice root, XXXXXXX leaves, and coriander seeds. Have ½ teaspoon of this mixture with ½ teaspoon of powdered rock candy (mishri) 15 minutes before lunch and dinner.

Kumaryasava1 tablet twice daily
Usarameit vari 1 tab twice daily.(Get them online)

They are ayurvedic tablet usually very effective.

Thanks!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist