Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Itching in labia majora. Took medication for fungal infection, itching persists. Treatment?

Hi, I have a query. I have got itching problem at labia majora (left side). I saw a gynaecologist , she did vaginal smear and told there is a little fungal infection . Gave medicine - I took all . I am relived with any itching in inner labia but except one side of labia majora, it is as it is. Any home remedies for this. Should I see a gynaec?
Asked On : Mon, 31 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  395
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Emergency Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

A fungal (yeast) infection of the vagina is common in women. Simple home remedies can be attempted for the treatment or prevention of this problem. I would suggest the following measures:

1) Prevent the growth of yeast. The idea is to let air circulate as much as possible. Try to keep the vaginal area dry and clean, as a damp and moist environment helps Candida grow. Avoid wearing tight clothes and sleep without tight undergarments. Do not dust cosmetic powder in the vaginal area. Most of these powders have a starch base, which is conducive to yeast growth.

2) Sitz baths are a good way of cleaning and curbing the growth of the yeast and it can relieve the itching also.. You can do this with diluted potassium permanganate solution (potassium permanganate crystals should be available at your local chemist) or alternatively you can mix salt or vinegar (half cup) to a shallow bath and sit with knees apart.

3) Avoid having intercourse during a vaginal infection, as it increases irritation and can also be passed on to your partner (and which can in turn get re-transmitted to you later on).

4) Eating a healthy, nutritious diet and avoiding sugary foods can help.

In case, these simple remedies don't clear the infection, then you need to see a gynaecologist for more specific treatment.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Sheeba Stephen
Answered: Mon, 31 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor