Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

Is it safe to take dolonex dt 20 mg for heavy flow and pain during periods ?

my gynecologist suggested i take 20 mg of dolonex dt when i have my period . I have periods and it aches a lot with heavy flow . i went through an ultrasound and checkups and there doesnt seem to be any problem. the doc says heavy bleeding and pain happens to some people and maybe reduced after the person has a child. I am advised to take 2 tablets of dolonex dt after food (breakfast) on the 1st day and one tablet after food (breakfast) on the next three days to reduce bleeding and pain I have tried taking another tablet called spasmo proxyvon before and it dint help It does help a little but i am concerned about my health. Is it dangerous?
Asked On : Sun, 1 Apr 2012
Answers:  4 Views:  1575
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Thanks for your query
Dolonex -DT is a tablet containing medicine piroxicam which is a non steroidal anti inflammatory drug.
When taken as advised by your doctor and for a specified time it should not cause any major problems other than increased acidity and gastritis.
Long term use of any medicines should be avoided unless recommended by your doctor.
If you feel better after taking the medicine during periods you may continue as advised.
Take care.
Answered: Sun, 1 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma's  Response
You are probably suffering with menorrhagia, specific treatment for is based on a number of factors, which includes:-Your overall health and medical history,The cause and severity of the condition, Your tolerance for specific medications, procedures or therapies,The likelihood that your periods will become less heavy soon, Your future childbearing plans, Effects of the condition on your lifestyle & Your opinion or personal preference
Drug therapy may include:
Iron supplements. If the condition is accompanied by anemia, your doctor may recommend that you take iron supplements regularly. If your iron levels are low but you're not yet anemic, you may be started on iron supplements rather than waiting until you become anemic.
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). NSAIDs, such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others) or naproxen (Aleve), help reduce menstrual blood loss. NSAIDs have the added benefit of relieving painful menstrual cramps (dysmenorrhea).
Oral contraceptives. Aside from providing effective birth control, oral contraceptives can help regulate menstrual cycles and reduce episodes of excessive or prolonged menstrual bleeding.
Oral progesterone. When taken for 10 or more days of each menstrual cycle, the hormone progesterone can help correct hormonal imbalance and reduce menorrhagia.
The hormonal IUD (Mirena). This type of intrauterine device releases a type of progestin called levonorgestrel, which makes the uterine lining thin and decreases menstrual blood flow and cramping.
It is not dangerous. It is curable. Consult Gynecologist for proper Treatment.
Answered: Sun, 1 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Kamal Kishore Bandil's  Response
Yes doctors are correct

You can try Nisulide
Answered: Sun, 1 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Veera Raghava Rao Buddha.'s  Response
Hi welcome to H.C.M.F. You are having dysmenorrhoea with anaemia due to over bleeding.
Answered: Sun, 1 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor