Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Irregular periods. Discolored menstruation. Stopped taking the birth control pills. Could it be the reason?

I m 33 and have been off the pill for 6 mths now. My husband and I have not been trying for a baby - our lives are too busy to consider when the right time of the cycle is, etc. My concern is is that I have been experiencing weird periods. Some lasting 3 days others lasting 6 / 7. Then sometimes they start 5 odd days early and the month thereafter 9 days late. On Xmas eve I got my period 7 days early for 3 days. Then started spotting on new years eve. It s 16 days later and I am still bleeding . I ve been wearing pads and have noticed some days are light whilst others are heavy. The strange thing is is the blood is black and thick. When I go to the loo the toilet paper shows a dark blood and this is not easily absorbed by the pads. I m 56 kg and healthy. Exercise 3 times a week and live a pretty normal life. What is going on?
Asked On : Sun, 20 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  24
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Sep 2013
Thanks for query to HCM.
As you described in query this type of menses call as irregular bleeding or dysfunctional bleeding.
However there are so many causes for this type o bleeding but few of them are most common .
1 Poly Cystic Ovarian Disease ( pcod or pcos) is most common reason of such type of bleeding in this age group ( 33 years ) . Diagnosis can be confirmed by ultrasound of both ovaries .
2 The 2nd possibility may be any disease in uterus . Diagnosis can be confirmed by ultrasound of uterus . As you mentioned that there is dark colored blood so any tumor or fibroid in uterus sometimes produces such type of blood .
3 Hormonal imbalance is another most common cause in young female . Get in estrogen, androgen , FSH /LH ratio. As hormonal imbalance also occurs in pcod .
In my opinion consult a gynecologist and get his opinion as physical examination . clinical history also play an important role to rule out any disease.
Good luck.
Answered: Wed, 1 Jan 2014
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor