Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Inappropriate sinus tachycardia. Abnormal pulse rate, normal BP. How to cure?

I'm a 25 yr old female. Very healthy I. Decent shape, aside from the fact that I have inappropriate sinus tachycardia. Without sotalol 40 mg twice a day my pulse is around 140 at rest. Right now it is 57 and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. This has never happened to me. My Bp is still normal. I would like to raise it myself at home because the doctors here don't ever treat me well. Last time they gave me ulcer meds. I do not have GI problems and have already checked. All in all I'm looking for a quick way to raise this low pulse.
Asked On : Wed, 3 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  85
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Jan 2013
Thanks for posting your query.
With the available described symptoms, there appears to possibility of heart arrhythmia.
There appears to be least correlation between racing heart and gastric ulcer.
Heart Arrhythmia could be due to heart or due to hormonal disturbances.
You should consult with internal medicine specialist/ cardiologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should go for electrocardiography, electrophysiological studies of heart, 2 D echo.
If arrhythmia has been detected, then you have to take anti-arrhythmic medicines for control.
Sotalol also an anti-arrhythmic medicine and helps in control of racing heart rate.
If all relevant investigations are normal, then you should consult with psychiatrist.
There could also be possibility of panic attacks.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Answered: Wed, 3 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

You should see your cardiologist again
If not happy, have a second opinion...
The dose of sotalol may have to be adjusted.
Pulse rate and heart rate are not always the same! - weak beats may not produce a pulse / there could be a block in conduction / and so on / - seeing the doctor will be the best option.

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Wed, 3 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor