Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
136 Doctors are Online

I have light periods and my cycle never settles down to a specific date. What could be the solution for it ?

I am 19 and have irregular and light periods also my cycle is 45 day cycle! I am going to be 19 the next month and since my periods started they were abnormal (not regular and sometimes regular)I know well about PCOS and Oligomenhorrhea but i dont have all the symptoms of oligomenhorrea except that my cycle is very long smetimes 45 days but i have more than nine periods a year so its not oligomenhorrhea i guess. secondly last year i had more than nine periods a year sometimes i notice having more vaginal discharge. i have light periods and my cycle never settles down to a specific date but this year i had no periods since last two months. third is that i am a virgin so no chances of any pregnancy . i dont think i have PCOS because i dont feel any pain at any day of month and since two months i have no periods. I have not taken any medicine till now for this problem and also i had last period in december 6th but they were very light and i observed clotted blood. there is no family history of any light periods an my other sisters have normal periods. i do take tension a lot for my studies (is that a reason for missing periods?) Please diagnose and suggest!
Asked On : Fri, 25 Feb 2011
Answers:  4 Views:  256
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
  User's Response
hii mam,

You are 19 yrs old and your period is 45 days late from last.

If your period was regular in past then need not to be much worried.

Otherwise you may suffer from OLIGOMENORRHOEA and need to investigate properly.


It is defined as infrequent period and delay of several months in between and more common in pubertal girls.It is mostly due to inadequate maturation of H-P-O axis and inadequate hormonal stimulation.
The cycle are often anovulatory in first 1-2 yrs.Gradually full development of normal ovulatory cycle and it will not have any harmful effect in future fertility.

Other causes keep in mind:
1)Mental & physical stress like vigorous exercise
2)Anorexia nervosa-if wt less than 47kg,mens remain scanty.
4)PCOD with over wt.

So you need to do a USG,Thyroid function test,FSH/LH and prolactin level if period is irregular or delaying more and consult to your gynaecologist.
Along with maintain a healthy diet,control wt and regular light exercise.

All the best.
Answered: Sat, 26 Feb 2011
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
You appear as acase of PCOD as you are having delayed period ,scanty flow.Get ultra sound of uterus and adenexa and serum Insulin (P.P.) done.
Answered: Sat, 26 Feb 2011
I find this answer helpful
Ayurveda Specialist Dr. Ram Mani Bhandari's  Response
It is called irregular menstruation cycle time between two periods is longer or shorter than the normal and if there is uterine bleeding. At both ends of the menstrual life of woman, the periods are irregular usually.
Many of the lady has such problems. i Suggest you to take some Ayurvedic herbal products rather than chemical hormonal preparation. As far as my experience the hormonal and non hormonal imbalances are corrected by Ayurvedic products
some of herbs usualy used
Kumari(Aloe vera)
Ashoka(Sarac Ashoka)
Zinger(Zingiber officinalis)

Some of the drugs available in ther market
Rajpravartini Vati
Kumari Asava

Better to consult nearest the Nearest ayurvedic centres for further managements
Get well soon
Answered: Sat, 26 Feb 2011
I find this answer helpful
  Anonymous's Response
Well thank you all for your comments.
other thing i d like to mention is i am a little obese but not anorexic at all.
secondly regarding pcod i have read that women do have have pain in pcod but i do not feel any pain like a menstrual cramp or any other type of pain in lower abdomen.
Answered: Sat, 26 Feb 2011
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor