Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

I have excess unwanted dark corse hair in my chest, how do I get rid of these ?

doc...I have excess unwanted dark corse hair in my chest,stomach..pls tell me how do I get rid of these ?
Asked On : Thu, 17 Feb 2011
Answers:  3 Views:  261
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon 's  Response
Hi Pragnya
Thanks for posting your query on healthcare magic
The normal amount of body hair for women varies. Most of the time, a woman only has fine hair, or peach fuzz, above the lips and on the chin, chest, abdomen, or back. If you have coarse, dark hairs in these areas, the condition is called hirsutism. Such hair growth is more typical of men.
Mostly there is a hormonal imbalance which causes this .
Women normally produce low levels of male hormones (androgens). If your body makes too much of this hormone, you may have unwanted hair growth.
A common cause of hirsutism is polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). Women with PCOS and other hormone conditions that cause unwanted hair growth may also have acne, problems with menstrual periods, trouble losing weight, and diabetes. If these symptoms start suddenly, you may have a tumor that releases male hormones.

Other, rare causes of unwanted hair growth may include:

Cushing syndrome
Congenital adrenal hyperplasia
Hyperthecosis (a condition in which the ovaries produce too much male hormones)
Use of certain medicines, including testosterone, danazol, anabolic steroids, glucocorticoids, cyclosporine, minoxidil, and phenytoin
Rarely a woman with hirsutism will have normal levels of male hormones, and the specific cause of the unwanted hair growth cannot be identified.
I would suggest you to consult a gynecologist and an endocrinologist to rule out these pathologies and find the cause of hirsutism
Once hormones are taken care of and reports come to normal , these hair can be removed by any plastic surgeon / dermatologist doing laser hair removal.
Diode / NdYag / IPL laser are mostly used for the same with variable results for all.
I hope i have answered to all your queries .
If you have any further doubts then do post again
God Bless
Answered: Wed, 27 Jun 2012
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
Excess body hair is a direct consequence of development and expression of anger. if you are angry to those in a commanding position in relation to you, you will develop hair on your upper chest; if you express anger to your subordinates you will develop hair on your chest. If you develope anger for other, you will develop hair on your belly. if you use your eyes for expression of anger, you will develope hair on both sides of your chest.
Answered: Tue, 3 May 2011
OBGYN Dr. Rhea Chanda's  Response
You will have to see a dermatologist for permamnant removal of the hairs by laser treatment.Otherwise waxing is another option.
Answered: Fri, 18 Feb 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor