How long will it take for the blister to heal?

I am 31 years old, 6"2, 370lbs. I work a job that requires me to be on my feet about 10 hours a day. Suddenly I felt pain in my big toe, a blister had appeared on the top of my big toe from the cuticle down about a half an inch towards the joint. I soaked it in epsom salt, drained it, applied triple antibiotic ointment and dressed it with a band-aid. Its very sore. How long should I give it to heal on its own? Is there anything else I can do?
Fri, 29 Apr 2016
Dentist 's  Response
Hi..
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and can understand your concerns..

As per your complain it seems that the symptoms of painful blister near the cuticle of nail along with soreness and pain seems to be due to infection in the area of skin near the nail and occurs commonly due to causes like bacterial or fungal infection..
This condition is known as PARONYCHIA..

It can occur due to conditions like traumatic injury to the side of the nail like wearing very toght shoes, long hours of wearing shoes,traumatic injury, injury while cutting nail, nail biting habit etc, overzealous pedianicure etc..

The lump seems to be most probably due to formation of a pus filled abscess..
As you are following an appropriate treatment by dipping in epson salt solution, draining and applying antibiotic cream and if it is still sore, you need to keep patience as it can take about a week for it to resolve completely..
You can also take Ibuprofen to relieve pain and inflammation..
Avoid wearing shoes and let it be free to heal..
Avoid any trauma to the toe..

In case if it still does not resolve would therefore suggest you to consult a General Surgeon and get evaluated and a thorough clinical evaluation is generally sufficient for diagnosis..

You can be advised to apply a combination of steroid, antibiotic and antifungal ointment over it..
If it is painful topical application of numbing ointment and taking anti inflammatory painkiller like Ibuprofen can help..
Do cool compresses over it..
If the lump is large and painful Incision and drainage followed by a course of antibiotics and painkillers will relieve..

Hope this information helps..

Thanks and regards.
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.