• question-icon

Will a triple antibiotic ointment via a Q-tip work?

39 yom CC: L ear. PMH: Healthy. I have small, tortuous ear canals so I get semi-frequent ear infections. When I do I irrigate my ear with 50/50 H20/H2O2 and then apply Cipro ear drops. Unfortunately, I'm out of Cipro ear drops. Any reason I can't gently apply triple antibiotic ointment via Q-tip instead? Yes, I know. Never insert a Q-tip in your ear but I promise not to ram it in like mongo. I don't want to drive 30 miles and pay $60 for an office visit just to get an Rx. So the question is whether or not triple antibiotic ointment will work. Thanks in advance!
Fri, 30 Mar 2018
ENT Specialist 's  Response

As an ENT specialist, I would not recommend self-cleaning of ear it accidentally can injure your external auditory canal which can cause Otitis external and tympanic membrane perforation which has lot of complications.

I can understand about your concern of travelling long distance and money issues but it always to better to be on safe side and before applying anything to ear I would strongly recommend you to visit ENT specialist and get examination done.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Naidu N Lalitha Lavanya