Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
136 Doctors are Online

How is it possible to have fluid in the middle ear with a long term tube in place ?

How is it possible to have fluid in the middle ear with a t tube in place? Currently I have a long term t tube and it is still there, (this is year 9). However, recently I have been having the sensation of fullness which I generally equate with ear infection . I went to the ER and the dr on call assured me there was fluid but it was not infected. I then saw my family dr who told me the same thing and has made a referral to my ENT. In the meantime this is incredibly annoying. When I lay down the fluid shifts. If I move my head, it shifts and I feel blocked. It s awful!
Asked On : Tue, 14 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  36
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Hi and thanks for the query,
It is possible that the tube is blocked.
There is a tube called the eustachian tube (ET) that connects the nose to the ear.
It is meant for ventilation of the middle ear.
A malfunctioning ET can lead to accumulation of fluid in the ear.
Try decongestant nose drops like otrivin for relief. The ET opens at the back of the nose. The drops will help to keep the ET open which helps in drainage of the middle ear fluid.
Istill 3 drops 3 times per day for max of 5 days. Follow it up with steam inhalation.
Dr Kishori.
Answered: Sat, 28 Dec 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor