Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

History of heart attack. Angiograph shows blocked RCA. Will stress thallium test help?

My father age 69yrs, had heart attack some 10 years back and then he got stent in center artery. Recently from angiograph, doctor found RCA is fully blocked, but blood is seen on either side of blockage. Left one has some 60%+ blockage. That center one with stent have some blockage little farther from stent position. So suggested Bypass. As such my father is doing fine, so he is not agreeing for By pass. He takes his medicine regularly. Now some one suggested Stress Thallium test. Will it serve any purpose, post angiograph done recently ? Any alternative. One of his doctor, suggested in that case, it may go for stent in RCA which shows full block. Any comment.
Asked On : Mon, 22 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  33
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Cardiologist 's  Response
If your father is asymptomatic with his level of daily activity, on good medications for the heart, then there is no role for coronary interventions; a stress test would not be useful either. Results from a huge recent trial called COURAGE indicate that stable patients with chronic stable coronary artery disease can do really well with medications.

To the second question, there is no role to do a stress test now after the recent diagnostic angiogram, it is like trying to climb a tree by sliding down.

Hope this helps

Dr Brenes-Salazar
Mayo Clinic Rochester
Answered: Tue, 23 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor