Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
145 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Have hypocalcemia, levels low right now, back tightening. Can that be why I am having this intense chest discomfort?

I feel like I have a charlie-horse in my chest and down my arms. I have hypocalcemia and I know that my levels are slightly low right now. Can that be why I am having this intense chest discomfort? It will not go away..I've had it really bad for about 3 days now. There is a tightening feeling in my back too. Please help! I am a 30 year old female with two small boys to take care of!
Thu, 18 Apr 2013
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
yes my friend, hypocalcemia can cause muscle aches and chest discomfort. If your calcium is extremely low and you are symptomatic, you should consult her doctor as soon as possible and get your calcium as well as her magnesium and potassium checked. It is unlikely with chest discomfort that you will have heart disease at your age, however there are some rare causes of chest and back pain that can happen in younger women including pericarditis, pancreatitis, and aneurysms, which can cause chest pain radiating to the back. Probably consult the doctor as soon as possible to rule out more serious causes and do not assume it is just because of the hypocalcemia.have a great day.
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

hi im a 52 yrs old female on lipitor,aentol,anetol,low dose aspirin ,my concern is i think i have high anxiety,everytime i geta lil chest...

Recent questions on  Pancreatitis

doctor1 MD

what is the impact of long term use of pancreatic enzymes as part of a treatment in response to (at this time) idiopathic chronic pancreatitis?...

doctor1 MD

hi my name is tamara connors and my boyfriend has chronic pancreatitis . lately he has been in excrutiating pain and i need to know what he should...

doctor1 MD

My husband has Pancreatitis which he developed straight after an operation for Thyroid Cancer 8 weeks ago. He has had numerouse complications and...

doctor1 MD

I need to find the best hospital top rated doctor in Texas , that treats Pancreatitis. I have a loved one that has the oily bulky stools and could...

doctor1 MD

My head is killing me my stomach is upset I vomited I’m dizzy and when I swallow it feel like it gets stuck right about half way down it’s...

doctor1 MD

Thank you. minor pain starting several months ago at my lower right rib area. over last week or two, the pain has increased but doesn't hurt unless...

doctor1 MD

yes. I know I have Rheumitorid Arthritis , but right now my lower back hurts quite a lot. I have nausea , loose stools, drained feeling and pain in...