Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Have cough, cold sweats after esophagus, stomach cancer removed. Wear warm clothes. Suggestions?

I had a surgery 3-1-13 to remove cancer in my esophogus and upper stomach - which my stomach is now where me esophogus was - ther was only a few inches os esophogus not removed. I've had hod and cold sweats ever since. Some days and night are better and some are non stopping. I wear multilayered clothing but do you have any suggetstions?
Asked On : Sun, 14 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  46
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
General Surgeon 's  Response
Apr 2013
Hi and welcome to HCM.
I am not sure this is related to your surgery. cause can be any infection. Most common are respiratory and urogenital. SO do kindey ultrasounds and urine analysis. This is common cause of cold sweats and chills. Also you should change your dietary.AFter esophageal procedures your meals should be smaller, and more liquid. Eat 6-7 times per day but smaller meals and drink lot of water and natural teas. Avoid alcohol, fats and coffee. I am sure you ll feel better after this.
Wish you good health.
Answered: Mon, 15 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
General Surgeon Dr. Grzegorz Stanko's  Response

Thank you for the query.

Esophagus removal surgery is kind of risky surgery and some patients will have complications after it. That is why when after such surgery you do present symptoms like hot and cold (possible infection) it should be checked for possible complications appearance.
After esophagus surgery the connection between the stomach and esophagus is located in the chest. Some part of such connections is not tight so the food (mostly liquid) from the esophagus can get into the chest. And if so, the abscess appears.
Other possible complications are pneumonia, wound infection, abdominal fluid collection and/or abscess.
That is why I suggest you to visit your doctor, have blood work, CRP level, chest X-ray and abdominal ultrasound performed.

Hope this will help.
Answered: Mon, 15 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor