Can bladder repair when suffering from acute diverticulitis be symptoms of bowel or intestinal cancer?

Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 17 Jan 2014 in Women's Health
Question: Had acute diverticulitis Nov, 2013...took regimen of antibios & flagyll for 2 wks. Symptoms disappeared, but need bladder repair (mesh) and possibly have a rectocele. Must have colonoscopy first to determine. Could it be bowel or intestinal cancer or tumor?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. The first thing, acute diverticulitis has several differential diagnosis like colon cancer, inflammatory bowel disease, ischemic colitis, irritable bowel syndrome etc. As you were under the treatment for 2 weeks with above regimens, acute phase of diverticulitis is subsided. CT scan gives more than 98% accurate result in diagnosis diverticulitis. However, COLONOSCOPY is much helpful to differentiate it from other close possibilities. It is quite necessary before performing any kind of urogenital surgery or repair. Intestinal perforation (in few cases) should be eliminated through proper clinical examination and relevant investigations. In the mean time, you would take low fiber diet to heal up the colon timely. Kindly, consult with SURGICAL GASTROENTEROLOGIST for clinical evaluation and proper guidance of above mentioned tests. Hope, it helps for your understanding. Kindly, close the discussion, if you don't have any other query. Wish your good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen