How to tackle Mud eating habbit of my child , please give your suggestion!

My 3 year old child has the habit of eating mud. When i allow him toplay in the park, it starts eating mud. I have punished him alot, but unable to stop this habit. Iam worried he will get some infection since the mus has som many dirty things in it. How to tackle this habit, iam realy worried about it
Thu, 17 Mar 2011
  Anonymous's Response
's  Response
Is it correct that Calcium medicines (Tablet & Liquid) having taste like Mud because children like that taste.
Ayurveda Specialist Dr. Ram Mani Bhandari's  Response
Dear
welcome to healthcaremagic
you should be alert about the symptoms with her
Bowel problems.
Intestinal obstruction.
Parasitic infections.
Due to Mud eating she may had Complications of
Parasitic infestations like ascariasis, hook worm infestation.
Toxoplasmosis.
Lead poisoning.
Iron deficiency anemia.
Gastrointestinal problems like constipation, intestinal obstruction, intestinal perforations, ulcerations can occur.

I suggest you treatment
Education about nutrition to your child
Iron therapy may be needed
Psychological counseling or behavior therapy
Please consult your doctor if any abnormal symptoms occurs
Thanks
  Anonymous's Response
Anonymous's  Response

I was always told it had something to do with low iron. Our bodies will crave things we are lacking. I used to eat chalk as a child (no other strange things), only to find out I had a calcium deficiency.

muskaan's  Response
who said mud eating is more common in anemia, thats low hemogobin count. take more green leafy veg, fruits, and jaggery. get a blood test done.
ridhima's  Response
Mud eating is a genetic disorder i suppose, if the mother eat mud in their childhood their children also eat. No one can stop it
rachna's  Response
mud eating I LOVE IT..i used to love it when i was a kid..but once i have got severe stomach ache...after which...i totally...stopped..but even now when ever it rains....i feel.like having mud