question-icon

Suggest treatment for lower intestinal hernia

Posted on Fri, 21 Apr 2017
Question: I have a lump about three inches long on what I assume is my my left lower intestine. Looking at my frontal, the swelling starts at the intersection of my pelvis and scrotum. and is at a 1:00 line.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Possible Diagnosis : Hernia

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the query at HealthcareMagic

The swelling/lump you are describing is probably indicative of Hernia.
Hernia occurs due to the protrusion of intestine through weakened abdominal muscle walls.
The important characteristic of hernia is that the swelling protrudes while straining, coughing, sneezing etc and the swelling can also be pressed back in.

Hernia is treated with surgery. Untreated hernias can lead to complications like strangulated hernia and intestinal perforation.

Confirmation of diagnosis requires physical examination.

I'd recommend that you follow up with your primary care provider/surgeon for confirmation of diagnosis and specific management.

Meanwhile, try to avoid excessive straining and heavy lifting as this can worsen the hernia.

Hope I was able to help you
Please feel free to address any more concerns.

Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal