Does fried food with no cholesterol lead to heart conditions?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Are fried foods or any foods high in saturated fats dangerous if they contain no cholesterol or trans fats? aside from sodium and everything else
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Fried food can lead to different health problems, including heart disease

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for your question on HCM!

This is a very interesting question. There have been a lot of different studies based on fried food, to study its effects on our body. Some of the studies conclusions are controversial.
Greasier foods increase calorie consumption and can lead to obesity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and coronary artery disease and heart failure. It doesn't matter only the amount of cholesterol.
In a study it was shown that if fried food was eaten four to six times a week, heart failure risk was 25 percent higher, and at seven times or more weekly, 68 percent greater.
So it might be wise to reduce the frequency and quantity of fried foods consumed weekly in order to prevent heart failure and other chronic conditions like the above mentioned.
Another dangerous effect is that fried food raises the risk of gastrointestinal cancer, from the changes induced to the mucosal cells.
A healthy diet is high in fruits, vegetables, beans and whole grains, but low in saturated fat, red meat, salt and fried foods. I would strongly advise you to avoid frying and use more boiling food.
I would advise you to use olive oil when frying, and low salt, if you really like fried food and a lot of fish in your diet, which are protecting factors against the above mentioned health problems. There was a study in Spain, where olive oil is used for frying where the consumption of fried foods was not associated with coronary heart disease and this underlined the protecting effect of olive oil in fried food.

Hope to have been helpful!

Feel free to ask any questions whenever you need!

Greetings! Dr. Iliri

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 12 hours later
Wow thank you so much for all of the information!! :) I'll keep all of that in mind..Is there any way that has been proven to clean your arteries? I know that there is no medicinal way, however what about eating pomegranate every other day, asparagus, and raw garlic?
I just mean food based. Thank you again for all of the help and info
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can eat pomegranate and raw garlic for atherosclerosis

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

There is not a precise food or treatment to help you with atherosclerosis. We use statine therapy for this purpose to lower your colesterol and stabilize the atherosclerotic plaques on the blood vessels and Aspirine to protect from platelet aggregation on atherosclerotic plaques.

I would say it is safe to use pomegranate and raw garlik every day. I would not recommend to use it in case of side effects like low blood pressure, allergy reactions, or before surgery, because of their effect of lowering your blood pressure.
These two types of food are known for their effectiveness in atherosclerosis treatment and prevention. So it is true that they can help you "clea " your arteries.
But they may also interfere with some drugs.

Some medications are metabolized by our body mainly in the liver. Pomegranate might decrease how quickly the body metabolizes some medications. Taking pomegranate along with some medications that are changed by the body can increase the effects and side effects of your medication.

Some medications that are metabolized by the body include amitriptyline (Elavil), codeine, desipramine (Norpramin), flecainide (Tambocor), fluoxetine (Prozac), ondansetron (Zofran), tramadol (Ultram), and others. So you should be careful if you use any of these drugs while eating pomegranate to avoid these drugs side effects.

I would not recommend asparagus for this purpose. It is more effective in urinary tract infections, skin problems and hormonal imbalances. It has not a real effect on atherosclerosis. The amount of asparagus that it is safe to eat every day has not been studied yet, so I would not recommend to take it every day.

Hope to have been helpful!

Feel free to ask any other questions!

Greetings! Dr. Iliri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T