Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

173 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have chest pain and diarrhea due to alcohol and smoke

Hi, I m a 30yr old female. I know the answer to my question will be to stop drinking and smoking which I have drastically cut down but I wanted to get an idea of what damage I have done to myself. Possibly the shock will give me the final push. I ve drunk alcohol and smoked for 17yrs. Recently, the left side of my chest at the front, across the rib cage area at the back going under my armpits feels painful, almost achey. I have never coughed anything up or been very phlegmy. Regarding the alcohol, I get bloated, cramps and diarrohea everytime I drink, irrespective of type or amount. I have had memory black out on several occasions and struggle to recall even memories from childhood now. Is any of this permanent and is there anything I can do (aswell as stopping) to aid repair? My concern about the changing in bowel movements worries me a lot.
Mon, 13 Jun 2011
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response

Welcome to HCM.

17 years is pretty long period and indulging in alcohol and smoking for such a long period is certainly going to affect your body adversely. If you ever get an occasion to see people affected by these, you will need no other push to completely wean yourself from these unhealthy habits. People whose liver is damaged beyond repair, end up throwing up blood and their final days are really miserable. Same can be said for chronic smokers whose lungs get damaged beyond repair and turn malignant, spitting blood, spending sleepless nights sitting up in the bed coughing and gasping for breath. We being doctors had many occasions to see such patients who have repented their unhealthy habit a bit too late.

The horrific picture I present is not to scare you but to wean you from these habits, while there is still chance of coming back to complete normalcy.

30 is too young a age to be destroyed in this way. I think if you decide and stop smoking and consuming alcohol, right now, you can completely regain your full health and vigour.

My best wishes are with you.
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Channabasappa K's  Response
MIS,get done USG-ABDOMEN,tmro itself near by scanning center,darfully.let us know how is your liver? ok. i think you might be experincing alcohol withdrawal symptoms,that needs to treated after shor term stay in hospital under physican have developed KARKOPS PSYCHOSIS due to CHRONIC THIAMIN DEFICENCY,long term inj thiamin dailly is must for you along with other vitamines given BY INJECTION FORM IS BEST.SINCE YOU AV QUIT SMOKING,YOUR LUNG RECOVER VERY FAST WITHOUT ANY TREATMENT,TAKE GOOD PROTEIN DIET BCOZ CHANCESS OF GOING CIRROHIS IS MORE IN THOSE MALNOURISHED.OK BEST OF LUCK FOR REST OF YOUR LIFE.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

For the last few years under stress I get an extreme tightning in my upper right chest , but if I press on it, it goes away for a bit...I seems like extreme heartburn ... It has gotten worse and now I have extreme bouts of diarhhea along with a hard and painful stomach and cramps . The diarhhea lasts about 12 hours or until there is nothing left inside me... the last 4 times I ve had to go to the ER because I m so wiped out from all this. I ve been to a digestive diseases doctor... I ve had both scopes, Cat Scan and a small bowel xray and they aren t showing anything. I ve gotten it again today I haven t eaten anything spicy or greasy. I m to the point that I m really afraid to eat. Can you help?

doctor1 MD

Started feeling nauseous and had diarrhea with no fever for 3 days, went to urgent care and was told I had stomach flu. I have been a cigarette smoker for 20 years and woke up on day 5 of illness with no urge to smoke, like a switch flipped in the back of my brain, I also stopped drinking coffee and smoking marijuana with no desire to continue. I started having chest pains and anxiety, after several er visits I was diagnosed with GERD and anxiety. My mental health started to get to a dark place and went to er with suicidal ideations, was diagnosed as depressed. I refused the Ativan and Zoloft but agreed to take Omeprazole. My symptoms seemed to linger, I had rapid weight loss and my mental state was suffering, i thought maybe I had blood sugar issues, anemia, or even premenopausal (I’m a 35 year old woman), my GP assured me that I’m fine and all my blood work is normal, I requested vitamin deficiency testing and just received the results as borderline deficient. I have been tested for everything below the neck but I wonder if it’s a brain thing??? I have had no injury to the brain but I feel like a different person, like a switch flipped, like my brain is sick, am I crazy?? Currently taking vitamin d and b12 supplements and stopped the PPI meds....

doctor1 MD

I had the flu last week. Vomited frequently for 6 hours, along with diarrhea. Lasted about 48 hours week and tired. I have fibromyalgia. As I started to feel better I couldn t quite be able to eat even the lightest things, due to chest pain. I gave it a few extra days of no spices and soft food. Thinking the pain was my residual from fibro. We ll it realy hurts eating lying down even breathing is uncomfortable. A lot of belching. Ugh what to do? My doctor frequently tells me I have disfascia. I think not. My anxiety is under controll.

Recent questions on  Alcohol withdrawal

doctor1 MD

My son is 46, alcoholic, is now visibally shaking feels poor all over ?

doctor1 MD

Why do my lower jaw quiver

doctor1 MD

Hi, I was wondering what a better drug for me be for alcohol withdrawal . It's affecting my life in that when I don't have alcohol, try to go into work - I get a lot of anxiety in that I have panic attacks. I was wondering if LIbrium (which I've...

doctor1 MD

I got drunk 3 days in a row. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Now it s 6PM Monday and I still feel awful, like I need to throw up and I m really spacy still, like I can t concentrate on things well. I thought it was just the hangover but now I don t know. What is it?

doctor1 MD

If someone, known to have been consuming alcohol, was brought into the ER in police custody for feeling dehydrated, and if whether or not they were acting unruly, would the following ever be given to them within an hour and a half of time.
*after this was administered, the person had a ELECTROCARDIOGRAM, CHEST XRAY, and TROPONIN TEST.
Then within the next three hours another INJECTION, ZIPRASIDONE MESYLATE 10MG was given

doctor1 MD

hi im on day 4 of alcohol withdrawal and still don't feel right. im 62 years ld. female. a little high blood pressure.from drinking. I also take a lot of benzos to get high. my tolerance is very high to these. they are more a problem than the alcohol. they are not prescribed. I take them to get high. I took 10 mgs of Xanax today. and im still functioning believe it or not. I just feel pretty dizzy but ive felt that way for the past few days. I know I need help. the last time I went to the er this happened twice at two different hospitals they couldn't find a detox with a bed so they discharged me. I still cant believe a hospital would do that. now what. im not going through that again.

doctor1 MD

Hi I am an 29 year Old Female Been drinking 4 a quite a while now since age 16 I never Had a Problem But Recently after A Good Nite Of Drinks The Next Day I wake Up Wit Chills N felling Hot Like A Big Sweat Iam Just Curios Of why This Can Be ..? Don t Like The Feeling 1 Bit What Would B the Most Logical Explainsion Due 2 something Like This ...?