Suggest medication for alcohol withdrawal

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 11 Oct 2017 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: Hi, I was wondering what a better drug for me be for alcohol withdrawal. It's affecting my life in that when I don't have alcohol, try to go into work - I get a lot of anxiety in that I have panic attacks. I was wondering if LIbrium (which I've taken in detox before) or Ativan (which really has helped me in the past). I don't have a drug abuse issue (just alcohol), so I was wondering which one would get me back into my office? I do have a bunch of stress in my life, so thinking Ativan would be better. What would you think? Thank you so much for any direction.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ativan will make better choice as it is more safe

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Health care magic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

Although both librium and ativan are equally effective but in regard to safety arivan is better option as it is short acting and do not get metabolized by liver.

Considering this I feel Ativan will make a better choice.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 21 hours later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX
I ordered a 2mg dose, I am thinking cutting it in half for a day. I think it's every 4 hours? Then the next day or two taking 2mg every 4 hours. Then cut back to 1mg every 4 hours after that for a day. Does that sound correct?

Thanks so much - I won't go with the librium.
Liz
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for follow up.

Regarding cutting down ativan it will be appropriate to cut down 10 to 15% every day as it will ensure safe withdrawal from alcohol.

For example if you start with 4 mg per day cutting down half mg per day will be one of the better strategy.

I hope this clarifies further.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 16 hours later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX

Thanks so much - will do. This was really helpful.
Best regards,
Liz
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
I am glad to know that the answer was useful for you and you decided for ativan for alcohol withdrawal.

If you have more questions I will be glad to answer you further.
If you do not have more questions, please close the discussion and if possible rate the answer for my future patients.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386

Thanks and regards.