Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

Have back pain. Have degenerative disc disease and rheumatoid. What to do?

I have a bulging disc at L4L5 with degenerative disc disease and severe rheumatoid. Tonight I cannot lay down or sit. I can't stand up straight. The pain shooting down my back in taking my breath away. I also have developed a headache. I have tried heat and cold packs. I also took Nucynta around 2 hours ago & it's doing nothing. I am in major pain. Should I go to ER?
Asked On : Thu, 18 Apr 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  35
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Thanks for writing to us.
You need systemic muscle relaxants like chlorzoxazone or thiocolchicoside to relieve yourself from this pain. You can attend an ER for a short term relief. Lumbar traction can help in relieving the acute pain.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Dr. Praveen Tayal
Answered: Thu, 18 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Hello and Welcome to HCM,
Thanks for writing to us.
You are suffering from disc bulge at L4-L5. This disc may be compressing upon a nerve root that either exits or traverses through that level. Having known this basic anatomy, you must avoid any activity that aggravates the condition, like bending forward and lifting heavy objects, sitting long hours on computer, inappropriate sitting posture, etc
The medications(muscle relaxant and anti-inflammatory) will relieve pain and help muscles to relax. Physiotherapy shall also help a lot, especially exercises that strengthen your back. Kindly note that exercises should only be done when it doesn't hurt. Adequate rest and proper nutrition is equally important. Drink lots of fluids since dehydration affects the disc.
You can go to ER for pain relief.
Hope this helps you.
Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Answered: Thu, 18 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Yes - go to ER
Other analgesics (anodyne) / muscle relaxant / advice on posture and physiotherapy (even traction) may help
You have not stated your age, gender, personal habits, family history or co-morbidities
If the effects of compression are seen on the nerves or muscles supplied by it , surgery may be required (based on results of nerve conduction study and electro-myo-graphy...)

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Thu, 18 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor