Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Had voice disruption. TSH level high. Prescribed Eltroxin 10 mg 2 tablets. TSH became alarming low. Advised surgery. Suggestions?

Hi Doctor, My wife is having voice disruption since delivery (1 year). Recently (about two months back) we suspected that might be due to thyroid. So to make sure we consulted a doctor nearby, as per Doctor s advice we took a blood test and the results TSH level was 14 and doctor informed us the level is too high and she asked us to take medication . We thought it would be better if we could contact a specialist in thyroid. In Bangalore we found a hospital and went there to have look for Thyroid specialist , they said this can be attended by general physician and we consulted. This physician prescribed tablet Eltroxin 5mg to be taken half an hour before breakfast for a week. If no changes in voice increase it to 10mg (2 tabs). After taking this for a month come back for a check up. We follow this doctor s advice and no changes in the first week so added 2 tabs for a month. After a month we went for check up, after scanning and CBC (blood test) the results were shocking, now the TSH level is 0.4. Now that doctor was not available and got checked with the different one. He said, the thyroid level is too low and you need to have a surgery. So he referred to surgeon on the same hospital. Now we are out of options and don t know what to do. Please help...
Asked On : Sun, 10 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  55
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Endocrinologist 's  Response

your voice change seems to be related to hypothyroidism and your TSH of 14 confirms hypothyroidism. The dose of thyroxine has to be titrated to maintain your TSH at normal level. You can take 1 tablet and check TSH after 6 weeks. Unless we see and examine the patient, it may be difficult to comment on the need for surgery. It would be preferable to see an endocrinologist.
Answered: Wed, 20 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor