Ear becomes red, itchy if exposed to low temperatures. Only in right ear. Cause?

Hi, My right ear lobe becomes red, itchy, and then swollen after I am outside in 20 degree (F) and below temperatures. All three times it has happened, I ve been outside with my ears uncovered for at least 10 minutes--or long enough for my ears to become pretty cold . I ve never had this problem on my fingers, toes, nose , or any other part of my body. I obviously have now learned to keep my ears covered but I would like to know what is causing this. It only affects my right ear lobe which swells to the size of a large pea. The first time it happened, I responded to the itchiness by scratching it which seemed to make the swelling worse--I m guessing because it increased the blood flow to the area(?) The other two times, I did not itch it and the swelling went down within 2-3 hours. Thanks for any information you have!
Tue, 10 Sep 2013