question-icon

What causes soreness of the earlobes?

Posted on Sat, 18 Nov 2017
Question: Two days ago I forced an earring into my earring hole after not wearing earrings for a long time. After taking the earring out my earlobe is pink and sore. Could it be infected? Are there ways I can treat this at home?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. (4 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Continue with neosporin. Oral antibiotics if it gets worse

Detailed Answer:
Hello. thank you.

I am Dr. kakkar(Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

Yes, certainly the ear lobe has got infected - red and sore ear lobe indicates that.
Trauma from the earring might have provided an entry point for infection.
I suggest you to remove the earrings. Do warm compresses to reduce pain and swelling.
Clean the area daily with either spirit or peroxide.
Ideally I suggest an oral antibiotic in such cases e.g either Amoxicillin or Cephalexin or Cefadroxil for 5-7 days.
However Neosporin ointment is good OTC option to start with and might be enough. Continue using the ointment 3-4 times a day.
If Neosporin ointment alone proves insufficient i.e if the lobe doesn't improve and become more red and sore you may then require to contsct your general physician for a prescription of oral antibiotics.
You may also take an OTC painkiller e.g ibuprofen or diclofenac to reduce pain and swelling.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist