What causes a red insect bite like bump on the leg?

Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hey doctor,

I have had what looks like a cut or some sort of bite on my leg since Saturday and it hasn’t really gone down or anything yet I have attached some images of it. It hurts quite a bit especially when touching the area, it kind of feels like a bruise but it doesn’t really look like one since it is all red. When I first felt it I wipe it with an antibacterial wet wipe with tea tree oil and then when I got home I washed it in the shower with soap and water and put some Detol antiseptic cream on it. What exactly does this look like to you and is it worth getting checked out by the doctor how long should I wait to see if it gets better?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Allergic reaction

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the query and photograph.
It is looking like an allergic reaction.
I treat such cases with a mild steroid cream like fluticasone to be applied twice daily for a week.
It is safe and effective.
You can try this.
Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 42 hours later
Thanks for that doctor just another query about something else a bit unrelated but this morning I had an ear impression done from an Audiologist for customs music ear plugs and he said that I had a little bit of wax in my right ear and after the impression, my hearing on the right side feels blocked in a sense, with this feeling or pressure and pain if I push my ear upwards from the earlobe and I can't hear as well. Is this normal after having something like this done could it have pushed the wax down more? He gave me some cleaner spray as well to help soften it but it hasn't really done much yet. When should I see my gp about it and would it maybe become un blocked by itself?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 25 hours later
Brief Answer:
Use spray

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for the follow up.
Ear impression procedure involves inserting of material in ear canal.
This pressure in ear canal might have caused discomfort to you.
Just relax and use that ear spray.
You should be relieved.
It would be better to get your ear examined by a doctor.
Thanks.