Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Done gallstone operation. Have obstructive jaundice. Internal swelling. What to do?

my mother went for gallstone operarion two months ago and now she has had obstructive Jaundice fo a moth because the doctor that operated her did not do a by pass. she is pain after they tried to operate her again to fix the problem but could not because something about duts n some swelling inside and now we don t know what to do
Asked On : Sat, 26 Jan 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  53
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Gastroenterologist 's  Response
Your mother's initial operation was for removal of gallbladder
because of gallstones. The reason for obstructive jaundice a
month after surgery could mean a few things. Apparently,
there was a retained stone in the common bile duct, the
channel that brings the bile from the liver ducts to the gallbladder.
If this was not detected prior to surgery ,this can happen.
An examination called ERCP (Endoscopic retrograde cholangio pancreatography)
could have shown the stone and could have been removed.
The other cause is stricture of the bile duct from scar tissue. This also requires
the test that I mention, and they can treat it with placing a stent to keep
the duct open and relieve the blockage.
This is done by experienced gastroenterologists who do this a lot or may be
a surgeon trained in these kinds of procedures.
I would recommend that you enquire around and some research to find out
who is available locally to do this. You can also contact the university hospital
if one is close by for additional help.
I wish your mother the best.
Answered: Sat, 26 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Gastroenterologist, Surgical Dr. Manish Joshi's  Response
Hi there,

'Post gallstone operation with jaundice' - a month, now ?swelling & pain
(operative details & current images not provided)

This is a highly specialised area(needs further evaluation like MRCP and liver evaluation).
This may be either due to stone or stricture (treatment depends on type of stricture )
Suggest immediate consultation with your Surgical Gastroenterologist for better outcome.
Answered: Mon, 28 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Gastroenterologist, Surgical Dr. Ketan Vagholkar's  Response
Thanks for writing in.
Your mother needs to undergo a ERCP or MRCP in order to diagnose the exact site of the block. This will enable the surgeon to plan the surgical course of action.
Answered: Sat, 26 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor