Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Do I have tuberculosis or not based on my report?

I am 72 years old male. About 3 years back I was treated for tuberculosis . Recently I was coughing a lot and tuberculosis elisa test was done and the report shows: Tuberculosis IgG Antibody: 280.12 U/ml i.e. Negative Tuberculosis IgA Antibody: 248.32 U/ml i.e. Negative Tuberculosis IgM Antibody: 2.28 S/Co i.e. Positive Though Azithral 500 (1 tablet per day for 4 days) took care of my cough but I am worried about IgM being positive. What does it mean: Do I have tuberculosis or not? And if I have it what is the treatment?
Asked On : Wed, 10 Nov 2010
Answers:  2 Views:  294
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
As I see your report here your IgM Antibody level shows sign of infection but it could not be only Tuberculosis in this case. this may be a common respiratory tract infection.
your doubt for tuberculosis can only be conformed by following investigations..

1) Sputum Acid fast staining (at least for 3 days)
2) radiological examination of Chest (X-Ray)
3) ESR examination.

otherwise the IgM level can be positive any other case of infection & even in case of Hospital exposer.
Answered: Wed, 10 Nov 2010
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Pathologist and Microbiologist Dr. Bhavin H Bhatt's  Response
one more thing I would like to add that Azithral 500 is not a drug for tuberculosis in particular.
there are other drugs specially for the treatment of tuberculosis.
If you need more information we can have long discussion on the same.
Till then keep your self healthy ...


Dr. Bhavin Bhatt.
Answered: Wed, 10 Nov 2010
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor