What is immunoglobulin A deficiency?

Posted on Mon, 19 Jun 2017 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: What is immunoglobulin A deficiency? If I have said efficiency, are there any symptoms?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Recurrent infections are the likely presentation.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Selective immunoglobulin A deficiency is a genetic immunodeficiency is a type of hypogammaglobulinemia. People with this disorder have absent levels of a blood protein called immunoglobulin A (IgA). IgA protects against infections of the mucous membranes lining the mouth, airways and digestive tract. It is the most common of the primary antibody deficiencies. Although individuals with Selective IgA Deficiency do not produce IgA, they do produce all the other kinds of immunoglobulin. This is why many people with IgA deficiency appear healthy or only have mild illness such as gastrointestinal infections.

There are no specific deficiency symptoms of IgA deficiency. However, a common problem in IgA deficiency is susceptibility to infections like recurrent sinopulmonary infections, gastrointestinal infections and disorders. A second major problem in IgA deficiency is increased occurrence of autoimmune diseases. Also, many people with Selective IgA Deficiency also have allergies or asthma.

Let me know if I could help further.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha