Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder. Getting frustrated since not able to concentrate. Any suggestion?

hello doctor,I consulted one psychiatrist last to last year and it was detected that i have obsessive compulsive disorder.The problem is wenever i study any random song starts tuning in my mind and i because of this i a unable to concentrate and i get very frustated bcoz i am really interested in studying but unable to study.These days i am taking prodep 20mg but its not helping me out.Can u suggest me something?
Asked On : Fri, 12 Apr 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  41
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Hi Chhavi.paul,
Welcome to HCM Forum
I can imagine what suffering u are going on.As u rightly mentioned that your diagnosis is OCD and currently it seems problem is uncontrolled - requires more intense psychiatrist attention.
From points mentioned it was not clear time since your last visit with psychiatrist but from dose probably long time u not consulted to your doctor.
Important points regarding this illness to understand is
1) This illness requires prolonged treatment and regular f/u
2) This illness is like Diabetes or Hypertension where it can be controlled by medicine and no complete cure available.
3) Available medicine gradually titrated in numbers of sessions to maximum dose with addition of another medicine to give possible maximum relief.
4) Along with medicine psychotherapy and behavioural therapy give additional benefit which help to reduce your compulsion

So in this disorder improvement means able to reduce intensity of distress available with ur thoughts and decrease frequency of thought as minimal as.

I hope this will clears in your mind what to expect from treatment.
So please continue frequent f/u with your psychiatrist he definitely help to improve your problem.
Best Regards.
Answered: Mon, 15 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Gourav Monga's  Response
Welcome to health care magic
I can understand your situation. I appreciate your effort to seek online support.

Prodep contains fluoxetine which is an SSRI and can be used in OCD. Other treatment strategies would be -

1) Antidepressants like SSRIs (escitalopram, sertarline, paroxetine etc)
2) Antianxiety agents like clonazepam, lorazepam, alprazolam etc
3) Psychotherapy/ Counselling sessions
4) Relaxation techniques like yoga, meditation, deep breathing etc

Hope it helps
Good luck
Dr. Gourav Monga
Consultant Psychiatrist
Answered: Sat, 13 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Psychiatrist Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi's  Response
Dec 2014
Welcome to HCM

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is one of serious type of anxiety disorder. You have poor concentration due to obsessive thinking. Usually in OCD medicines like SSRIs are used in higher doses. You are taking Fluoxetine at 20 mg dose and it is not a high dose. As per my opinion dose should be more for proper control of symptoms. Please visit your doctor for expert evaluation and to take opinion regarding increase in dose. Doses up 80 mg can be given in uncontrolled OCD.
Apart from medicines non pharmacological treatment like Behavior Therapy as Thought Stopping is very useful.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD
Answered: Fri, 12 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor